Carnival of Passive Investing—Tribute to Labor Edition
A good friend of mine observes Labor Day by declining to make any purchases on the holiday. I think his view is that everyone should have the day off. And his ‘spending holiday’ is a good tactic to save money too!
The introductory summaries below were submitted by the author. Enjoy!
My Top Picks
- Lifecycle investing assures you won’t outlive your retirement assets. Find out what Zvi Bodie and Rachel Taquu recommend. Barbara Friedberg presents Is Conventional Investing Wisdom Completely Wrong? Risk Less and Prosper posted at Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance.
- Do you know how much you’re paying in fees for your investments? It may seem like such a small percentage that you ignore it but even seemingly small percentages can have a big impact on your investment returns. Adrienne presents It’s Time to Get Serious About Mutual Fund Fees posted at My Dollar Plan.
- I-bonds are not well known or understood by the general population. They are inflation-linked savings bonds issued by the US Treasury that are guaranteed to keep up with inflation. Their interest rate will never drop below zero, even if there is prolonged deflation. Bryce presents What Are I-Bonds and What Are They Good For? posted at Save and Conquer.
- Jim Jones presents The 3 Sacred D’s Of Real Estate Investing posted at Critical Financial.
- This is a personal story in which I discuss why I decided to start investing, how important it is to invest at a young age, who I looked to when figuring out what company I wanted to invest with and more. Joshua Rodriguez presents I’ve Finally Started To Invest! posted at CNA Finance.
- Research has long shown that even successful active investment managers struggle to persist, but is it really because there are no great managers, or simply because at some point they no longer have the career incentive to keep trying? Michael Kitces presents An Alternative Reason Good Investment Managers Struggle To Persist posted at Nerd’s Eye View.
- Many believe that you need to have a lot of money before you can begin investing in the stock market. That, however, is a myth. By starting out with a little, you can begin to develop your investing discipline, but you also begin your path to growing wealth sooner as well as begin to develop a long term investment strategy. John Schmoll presents How to Invest in the Stock Market With Little Money posted at Frugal Rules.
- Rebalancing your investment portfolio helps you maintain your risk profile. But how do you know when to rebalance? Yes, you want to keep things in check, but there’s no sense in going overboard. Michael presents Deciding When to Rebalance Your Investment Portfolio posted at Financial Ramblings.
- Does the GainsMaster market timing Approach, like many other market timing/individual stock picking strategy win out over a passive investing approach? Or does this strategy fail to outperform the market and passive investing with index funds? This post analyzes this very question. Jacob @ My Personal Finance Journey presents GainsMaster Investing and Market Timing Approach – Does It Work Or Is It Futile Like All The Others? posted at My Personal Finance Journey.
- Our list of the best online brokers is a great place to start when comparing online brokers and narrowing down the search for the one that is right for you. Anton Ivanov presents The Best Online Brokers posted at Dreams Cash True.
- Unfortunately, most of the companies I usually focus on have been overpriced. For the companies that I find attractively priced today, I already have an above average allocation to them. Unfortunately, my principles of holding a diversified portfolio prevent me from concentrating my holdings too much. Dividend Growth Investor presents Looking for dividend bargains in an overheated market posted at Dividend Growth Investor.
- What if I told you that you could spend about 30 minutes setting up an investment portfolio that would beat 80% of the investors out there without any additional work? Sound a little too good to be true? It’s not. Let me explain. Matt becker presents How to Beat 80% of Investors With 1% of the Effort – Mom and Dad Money posted at Mom and Dad Money.
- One of the most popular ways to invest today involves using the internet but if you are not experienced, it can actually be an overwhelming experience. Hadley presents Online Investing in 4 Steps posted at Epic Finances.
- Today many people are interested in investing in the stock market and to that end, many are doing their homework and studying the basics of investing. Jack presents How to Start Investing when you only have $100 posted at Money Saving Ethics.
- An introduction to the use of a trailing stop as a part of a buy and hold investing strategy. Matthew presents What is a Trailing Stop? posted at Investing Five Daily.
- It wasn’t too long ago that the drop in Apple stock seemed like it would not stop as the price dropped all the way down to $400 a share after the death of legendary CEO Steve Jobs. Bill Smith presents Carl Icahn Invests in Apple Inc. posted at FastSwings.
- Here are some simple guidelines to help you choose a mutual fund or index fund that fits perfectly with your portfolio. Jon presents How to Choose A Mutual Fund That Fits Your Portfolio posted at Novel Investor.
- This post compares mutual funds and index funds as part of an investment strategy. Pauline presents Mutual Funds and Index Funds posted at Make Money Your Way.
- Bryan Chau presents Celebrating Labor Day Weekend – My Gift To You! posted at Success Pen Pal.
- There are very few ways to get rich quick. Infomercials, investment schemes, bleh! Here are some time tested ways to grow your money slowly. Holly presents Get Rich Quick? Not So Fast posted at Club Thrifty.
- It pays dividends to think through the process of creating a budget before you get started. What’s the purpose? What does it consist of? FI Pilgrim presents Build A Better Budget Part 1 – The Mindset posted at FI Journey.
Thanks to all contributors.
You too can participate in this outstanding carnival by submitting your entry to the Carnival of Passive Investing!