Please write to me if you have a suggestion for a link you think would be useful to Money Counselor’s readers. Thanks!
Budgeting and Debt Repayment Help for Canadians
Consolidated Credit Counseling Services of Canada offers free, no obligation credit counseling services, by phone and face-to-face. Its counselors assist in developing a stable monthly budget while making suggestions on areas of potential savings or obvious overspending, and offer an assessment of all debt-repayment options available to an individual based on their personal circumstances and their ability to repay outstanding debts.
If your budget has a sufficient monthly surplus, Consolidated Credit may be able to set you up with a fantastic debt management program (DMP) that allows for repayment of debts at a significantly reduced (typically 0%) interest rate and lower monthly payment. In my opinion, DMPs are the best way to repay unsecured (like credit card) debt for most people most of the time.
Watch this short video to learn more about Consolidated Credit’s services.
Consolidated Credit is a registered charitable, non-profit organization, a member of the Canadian Association of Credit Counseling Services, and has an ‘A+’ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
To get in touch with a counselor, call 1 (844) 257-5848 or click here.
Rip-Offs and Scams
- Free trial offers
- Advance-fee loan scams
- Fake debt collectors
- Mortgage relief scams
- “Negative option” marketing
- Payday loans
- Paying for a threat
- Identity theft
- Prepaid phone cards
- Smartphone security checker
- Time-barred debts
- Guide to freezing your credit
- Federal help for any sort of challenge
- Food bank locator
- Home energy assistance
- Housing counseling
- Get help looking for work
- Rental help
- Unemployment insurance
FTC Fact Sheets
- Credit and debit card blocking
- Choosing a credit counselor
- Your rights when you apply for credit
- Protecting against credit card fraud
- Credit repair: how to help yourself
- Disputing credit card charges
- Debt collection
- What to do if your identity is stolen
- Coping with debt
More Money for You
- 20% legal document discount
- Best savings rates
- Cheapest gasoline near you
- Cut student loan payments
- Underwater mortgage refinancing
Philosophy of Life
- Center for a New American Dream
- Video: the High Price of Materialism
- Your Money of Your Life
I Read These
- Rockstar Finance
- Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance
- Juggling Dynamite
- Money Miniblog
- New American Dream
- Free, compact booklets from the non-profit, registered charitable organization Consolidated Credit Counseling Services of Canada on a wide range of money topics. Recommended for all nationalities!
- Poor as Folk — A resource for people who need to feed themselves and live with little money.
- Kids Unbranded Action Kit
- Understanding Your FICO Credit Score
- What’s it really cost to drive your car?
- Are your savings FDIC insured?
- Debt collection sample letters
- Credit card interest calculator
- Debt statute of limitations in your state
- Free credit reports
- Money calculators
- Money Smart for Older Adults
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling
- New Dream Guide to Sharing
- Non-profit SaveAndInvest.org
- Guide to saving for college
- How much to save each month to reach a goal?
- Stop credit card junk mail
Very Cool Sites